The aim of this project is to provide staff with information about how cultural diversity impacts on international students during their study in Australia.
A series of webinars will be offered to staff at Universities, TAFEs and RTOs. These webinars will be facilitated by an experienced trainer of cultural diversity Wesa Chau and organisational psychologist Christine Yeung, as well as selected international students to share their personal stories that highlight cultural differences and thereby providing tips on how staff might be able to assist international students in different stages of the international student life cycle. International students who have shared their personal stories have been trained by Jon Yeo, licensee of TedX Melbourne and it is expected that the stories are impactful and provide useful information to staff.
Engaging in the classroom
- How to manage engagement between domestic and international students effectively?
- How do you know students understand the content of the curriculum? Is it necessary to provide cultural contexts that relate to the specific cohorts of students?
- How to motivate international students in learning?
International students engagement for frontline staff
- How do you ensure that students understand what is written agreement (National code, Standard 3)?
- International students feel the need to ask many questions after I have tried to address their concerns at enrolment and orientation sessions. Why do they need this validation of information? Is there a better way of doing this to avoid one-on-one communication?
- How do we make sure that students understand the importance of attending orientation and to read the information we have sent them to help them prepare for their studies?
- We want international students to know that we are here to help them succeed. How can we make sure that they come to us when they have a problem and not wait until it is too late for us to help them.
Expanding the markets in country
- How to expand the market for my University’s offering
- Are there other ways to add value to my institution’s offerings?
- The way I sale courses in Australia doesn’t seem to work in some countries, what do I do?
This project is supported by Study Melbourne.